壹本评论 | 子不嫌母丑,狗不嫌家贫。崇洋媚外不可取,堂堂正正做国人!昆明女孩美国大学毕业敏感致辞后记

2017年05月23日 澳洲壹本杂志


近日,美国马里兰大学的毕业典礼上,一名中国留学生Yang Shuping受校长邀请在演讲中称,自己来到马里兰大学是为了“新鲜的空气”,刚从飞机上下来就“感到了自由,这儿的空气太新鲜、太甜美”。随后她接着说:“之前在中国历史课上学到的人生、自由、对幸福的追求,对于我而言毫无意义……人们公开谈论着种族主义、性别歧视和政治话题,我非常震惊,我从来不知道这样的话题可以公开讨论”。这一演讲在留学生中引发吐槽。


注:全文最后附有演讲视频及全程翻译



正当人们义愤填膺,纷纷在各大社交媒体上对这个小女孩进行谴责时,事情又有了新的进展:


意外成为网红之后的杨同学,在重重压力底下,通过微博正式道歉了

(为保护个人隐私,此处做了打码处理)


原文如下


“这次演讲带来的反响大大的出乎我的意料, 并深感不安。现申明及致歉如下:


我深爱自己的祖国和家乡,为国家的繁荣发展深感自豪,也希望今后用自己在国外的所学弘扬中国文化,为国家做积极贡献。演讲只是分享自己的留学体验,完全没有对国家及家乡的否定或贬低之意, 在此深表歉意,并衷心希望大家给予谅解,今后会吸取教训。同时也希望不要再有更多的解读,甚至人身攻击。谢谢!”





对于这件事,壹本妹有话说:


今天,通过微博,处于漩涡中心的马里兰大学毕业生杨舒平向人们道歉。

比起杨小姐在毕业典礼上那篇将夸张手法用到极致的充满修辞技巧的演讲辞,这寥寥数语道歉,让我无法感受到哪怕一丝的诚恳与她所说的“对祖国的热爱”。

 

热爱,是个充满激情的词汇。

两百年前洋务派打破天朝上国的迷梦,正视国人科技贫弱,是一种热爱;

一百年前鲁迅投笔从戎,怒骂国人精神贫弱,是一种热爱。

2015年的柴静,以一部《穹顶之下》刺穿我们的迷梦,也是一种热爱。

即使活跃在网络上的网民,在 “大天朝如何如何”的自黑自嘲之下,藏的也是一种热爱。

可是杨小姐的文章里,表情里,演讲时的肢体语言里,找不到半点哪怕是“自黑式”的热爱。

 

一个在祖国怀抱里连生命安全都受到威胁、个人自由还饱受压迫的受害者;

一个因为美国的民主和自由空气的香甜才得以打开美丽新世界的幸运儿。

不要说这只是你的文学手法,没有任何一种文学手法授权你拿着祖国的不足去讨好外国。

 

美国人喜欢民主和自由。

美国人更喜欢别国人民向他们表示,我在中国时是多么不民主,多么不自由。

西方世界,难免盘旋着诸多妖魔化中国的言论。

最能引发西方世界狂欢的,无疑是一个中国人对这些言论的亲身力证。

杨小姐很“聪明”,找到了一种最顺滑的迅速融入美国社会的方式。

赢了台下美国人的喝彩,输了你的根和尊严,杨小姐,你真的觉得,这些话说出口后,你赢得的,是美国人对你的认同,是美国社会对你的接纳么?

 

有人说,跪得太久了,就站不起来了。

看着杨舒平的视频,我的脑子里不知为何一直盘旋着这句话。





演讲视频



以下是该同学毕业典礼演讲译文,篇幅略长,请慎读


Good afternoon faculty students parents and friends.

各位同学家长和朋友们,大家下午好。


I am truly honored and grateful to speak at the commencement for the University of Maryland, Class of 2017. 

我非常荣幸能够站在这里,在2017年度马里兰大学的毕业典礼上演讲。

 

People often ask me: Why did you come to the University of Maryland?

人们总会问我,为什么来到马里兰大学?

 

I always answer: Fresh air.

我一直这样回答:新鲜的空气。

 

Five years ago, as I step off the plane from China, and left the terminal at Dallas Airport. I was ready to put on one of my five face masks, but when I took my first breath of American air. I put my mask away.

五年前,当我从中国的飞机上走下来,离开达拉斯机场航站楼。我准备在我的5张口罩里选一个戴上,但当我吸入第一口美国的空气时,我摘下了口罩。

 

The air was so sweet and fresh, and oddly luxurious.

这里的空气非常甜美和新鲜,几乎是奢侈的。

 

I was surprised by this. I grew up in a city in China, where I had to wear a face mask every time I went outside, otherwise, I might get sick.

我被这一切震惊了。我在中国成长的地方,每次出门都必须戴上口罩,否则,我可能会因此生病。

 

However, the moment I inhaled and exhaled outside the airport.

然而,当我在机场(达拉斯)外呼吸的时候,

 

I felt free.

我感觉到了自由。

 

No more fog on my glasses, no more difficult breathing, no more suppression.

再没有雾在我眼镜上了,不再呼吸困难,不再感到压抑。

 

Every breath was a delight. As I stand here today, I cannot help, but recall that feeling of freedom. 

每次呼吸,都是愉快的。当我今天站在这里,我情不自禁地回忆起了那份自由的感觉。

 

At the University of Maryland, I assume feel another kind of fresh air for which I will be forever grateful — the fresh air of free speech.

在马里兰大学,我感觉到我呼吸到了另一种新鲜的空气。这种体验让我永生都愉悦。

 

Before I came to United States, I learned in history class about the Declaration of Independence, but these words had no meaning to me— Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness.

在我来美国之前,我在历史课上学到了《独立宣言》,人生、自由、和对幸福的追求——但是这些词对我的人生毫无意义。

 

I was merely memorizing the words to get good grades.

我记住这些词,单纯地只是想为了得到高分。

 

These words sounded so strange, so abstract and so foreign to me, until I came to University of Maryland.

这些词语听起来有些奇怪,对我来说它们非常抽象,而且很陌生。直到,我来到了马里兰大学。

 

I have leaned the right to freely express oneself is sacred in American.

我学会了自由的表达我自己的权利,在美国,这一切的权利都是神圣的。

 

Each day in Maryland, I was encouraged to express my opinions on controversial issues. 

在马里兰的每一天,我都被鼓舞着在有争议的问题上表达自己的观点。

 

I could challenge a statement made by my instructor. I could even rate my professors online.

我可以向指导员的观点发起挑战。我甚至还可以在网站上评价我的教授们。

 

But nothing prepared me for the culture shock I experienced when I watched a university production of the play— Twilight: Los Angeles.

但是,我却对那些我经历的文化冲击,毫无准备。当我看到大学里自己出品的戏剧——《黎明:洛杉矶》。

 

 

Twilight is a play by Anna Deavere Smith about the 1992 Los Angeles Riots 

《黎明:洛杉矶》是由安娜·迪弗·史密斯所著,讲述了关于1992年洛杉矶发生的骚乱。

 

The riots followed acquittal of four Los Angeles police officers in the videotaped arrest and beating of Rodney King.

这场骚乱的起因是对4名洛杉矶警官的无罪释放。他们殴打了罗德尼·金并因为一段录像被捕。

 

For six days, the city was in chaos as citizens took to the streets.

整整6天,这座城市都处在混乱喧嚣之中。

 

In Twilight, the student actors were openly talking about racism, sexism and politics.

在黎明时分,学生演员们公开谈论着种族主义,性别歧视和政治话题。

 

I was shocked, I never saw such topic could be discussed openly.

我非常震惊,我从没见过,更没想过这类话题可以被公开讨论。

 

The play was my first taste of political storytelling, one that makes the audience think critically. 

这部戏剧也是我第一部看到的,关于政治故事的戏,让观众带着批判性思维去观看。

 

I have always had a burning desire to tell these kinds of stories, but I was convinced that only authorities on the narrative, only authorities could define the truth. 

我总是有种强烈的欲望去倾诉这类故事,但我坚信,只能有权威的叙述,只有政府,才能定义真相。

 

However, the opportunity to immerse myself in the diverse community at the University of Maryland exposed me to various, many different perspectives on truth.

但是,当我沉浸在马里兰大学丰富多元的社群团体中,让我接触到了多种多样的事物,各种各样的关于真理的不同观点。

 

I soon realized that here I have the opportunity to speak freely. 

我很快意识到,在这里,我也有机会言论自由。

 

My voice matters. 

我的声音很重要。

 

Your voice matters.

你的声音很重要。

 

Our voices matter.

我们的声音很重要。

 

Civil engagement is not a task just for politicians. I have witnessed this when I saw my fellow students marching in Washington DC, voting in the presidential election and raising money for support various causes.

公民的参与不只是政治家的任务。我见证了这一切,当我看到同学们在华盛顿游行的时候,为总统的选举而投票,为了各种各样的事情而筹集资金。

 

I have seen that everyone has a right to participate and advocate for change.

我看到的是,每个人都有参与和支持改革的权利。

 

I used to believe that one individual participation could not make a difference, but here we are, United Terps.

我曾经认为,个人的参与丝毫没有办法改变现状,但是如今我们在这里,和马里兰大学一起。

 

Together, we can push our society to be more just open and peaceful.

齐心协力,就可以推动我们的社会更开放,和平。

 

Class of 2017, we are graduating from a university that embraces a liberal arts education that nurtures us to think critically, and also to care and feel for humanity. 

2017届的同学们,我们毕业于一所培养我们去批判性思考和给予我们充分的人文关怀的学校。

 

We are equipped with the knowledge of various disciplines and we are ready to face to the challenges of our society.

我们储备了丰富的学科知识,我们已经准备好去面对来自社会的挑战。

 

Some of us may go to graduate school, some us may step into professions and some of us may begin a journey of exploration.

我们当中的许多人会去念研究生,许多人会开始职业生涯,也有一些人会开始探索的旅程。

 

But no matter what we do, remember, democracy and free speech should not taken for granted. 

但无论将来我们将去向何方,请记住,民主和言论自由不应该被认为,是理所应当的。

 

Democracy and freedom are the fresh air that is worth fighting for.

民主与自由是如同新鲜的空气一样,是值得我们为之奋斗的。

 

Freedom is oxygen.

自由即氧气。

 

Freedom is passion.

自由即激情。

 

Freedom is love.

自由即是爱。

 

And as a French philosopher Jean Paul Sartre once said: freedom is a choice. Our future is dependent on the choices we make today and tomorrow. We are all playwrights of the nest chapters of our lives.

如同法国哲学家让·保罗·萨特所说:“自由是一种选择,我们的未来是取决于我们昨日和明日的选择。我们在书写着,我们是生命下一章的剧作家。”

 

Together, we write the human history.

我们一起,书写人类的历史。

 

My friends, enjoy the fresh air and never ever let it go.

我的朋友们,享受这新鲜的空气,然后永远,永远,不要让它消失。

 

Thank you!谢谢



文章部分资源来自互联网










澳洲壹本杂志

澳洲资讯全覆盖

新闻热线:08 8410 7790

[email protected]

扫描上方“二维码”即可订阅

收藏 已赞