Good afternoon faculty students parents and friends.
各位家长、同学、朋友们,下午好!
I am truly honored and grateful to speak at the commencement for the University of Maryland, Class of 2017.
我很荣幸,也很感激能够在马里兰大学2017届毕业典礼上发言。
People often ask me: Why did you come to the University of Maryland?
人们经常问我:为什么你选择来马里兰大学?
I always answer: Fresh air.
我总是回答:新鲜的空气。
Five years ago, as I step off the plane from China, and left the terminal at Dallas Airport. I was ready to put on one of my five face masks, but when I took my first breath of American air. I put my mask away.
五年前,我从中国来到美国,出了达拉斯机场航站楼,呼吸到在美国的第一口空气后,我就丢掉了正准备戴上的五层口罩。
The air was so sweet and fresh, and oddly luxurious.
这里的空气是如此的新鲜甜蜜,尽管说起来奇怪,但这对我来说很奢侈。
I was surprised by this. I grew up in a city in China, where I had to wear a
face mask every time I went outside, otherwise, I might get sick.
我大感意外。我在中国的都市中长大,每次外出都必须戴口罩,不然的话,我可能会生病。
However, the moment I inhaled and exhaled outside the airport.
所以,当我在机场外面呼吸到第一口空气的时候,
I felt free.
然而,在机场外深呼吸的那一刻,我感到了自由。
No more fog on my glasses, no more difficult breathing, no more suppression.Every breath was a delight.
不再有蒙在眼镜上的浓雾,不再有呼吸困难,不再有压抑的生活。每一口呼吸都是一种愉悦的体验。
As I stand here today, I cannot help, but recall that feeling of freedom.
今天站在这里,我情不自禁地回忆起这种自由的感觉。
At the University of Maryland, I assume feel another kind of fresh air for which I will be forever grateful — the fresh air of free speech.
在马里兰大学,我还感到了另一种意义上的自由,一种我会永远感激的自由——言论自由。
Before I came to United States, I learned in history class about the Declaration of Independence, but these words had no meaning to me— Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness.
在来美国之前,我在历史课上学到了美国独立宣言,那时独立宣言的内容——生命,自由和对自由的追求对我来说没有实际的意义
I was merely memorizing the words to get good grades.
我单纯地记下这些词,仅仅为了拿个高分。
These words sounded so strange, so abstract and so foreign to me, until I came to University of Maryland.
当时那些字句对我来说如此陌生,抽象,直到我来到了马里兰大学。
I have leaned the right to freely express oneself is sacred in American.
我学到了,在美国,自由表达是一项神圣的权利。
Each day in Maryland, I was encouraged to express my opinions on controversial issues.
在马里兰的每一天,我都被激励着在有争议的问题上发表自己的意见。
I could challenge a statement made by my instructor. I could even rate my professors online.
我可以质疑导师的意见,我也以在线上给老师评分。
But nothing prepared me for the culture shock I experienced when I watched a university production of the play— Twilight: Los Angeles.
不过这些都不能和我第一次看到校内演出的戏剧《黄昏:洛杉矶》(Twilight: Los Angeles)时感受到的文化冲击相比。
Twilight is a play by Anna Deavere Smith about the 1992 Los Angeles Riots
这是Anna Deavere Smith撰写的关于1992年洛杉矶暴乱的一部剧。
The riots followed acquittal of four Los Angeles police officers in the videotaped arrest and beating of Rodney King.
那次暴动的导火线为当地陪审团宣判四名被控“使用过当武力”殴打Rodney King的警察无罪释放。
For six days, the city was in chaos as citizens took to the streets.
6天内,人们走上街头抗议,城市陷入混乱。
In Twilight, the student actors were openly talking about racism, sexism and politics.
在这部剧里,学生演员公开地讨论种族歧视,性别歧视和政治话题。
I was shocked, I never saw such topic could be discussed openly.
我很惊讶,我从来不曾想过这样的话题可以被公开讨论。
The play was my first taste of political storytelling, one that makes the audience think critically.
这部剧是我第一次接触和政治有关的戏剧内容,它让观众辩证地思考。
I have always had a burning desire to tell these kinds of stories, but I was convinced that only authorities on the narrative, only authorities could define the truth.
一直以来,我都很渴望去讲述这样的故事,不过我曾相信只有权威的人才有资格讲述,只有权威部门才能界定事实。
However, the opportunity to immerse myself in the diverse community at the University of Maryland exposed me to various, many different perspectives on truth.
但是,沉浸在马里兰大学这种多远的文化中让我有机会能够接触不同的、多样的视角,去看待事实。
I soon realized that here I have the opportunity to speak freely.
我很快意识到了在这里我有自由发声的机会。
My voice matters.
Your voice matters.
Our voices matter.
我的声音很重要。
你的声音很重要。
我们的声音都很重要。
Civil engagement is not a task just for politicians.
公民参与不仅仅是政治家的任务。
I have witnessed this when I saw my fellow students marching in Washington DC, voting in the presidential election and raising money for support various causes.
我亲眼见到了我的同学们参与在华盛顿特区的游行,参与总统投票,为了各种各样的原因募集资金。
I have seen that everyone has a right to participate and advocate for change.
我见证了每个人都有参与、推进改革的权利。
I used to believe that one individual participation could not make a difference, but here we are, United Terps.
我曾以为一个人的能力也许不能做成什么,但是我们在这片土地上,美国。
Together, we can push our society to be more just open and peaceful.
在一起,我们能推进我们的社会,让它变得更开明和平和。
Class of 2017, we are graduating from a university that embraces a liberal arts education that nurtures us to think critically, and also to care and feel for humanity.
2017届的同学们,我们从一所拥抱人文教育、重视思辨能力、关注人道的大学毕业了。
We are equipped with the knowledge of various disciplines and we are ready to face to the challenges of our society.
我们具备了不同学科的知识,并准备好面对社会的挑战。
Some of us may go to graduate school, some us may step into professions and some of us may begin a journey of exploration.
我们中的有些人也许会继续读研究生,有的人会开启自己的职业生涯,有些人会开始求索的历程。
But no matter what we do, remember, democracy and free speech should not be taken for granted.
不过无论我们做什么,记住,民主和言论自由不是简简单单就得到的。
Democracy and freedom are the fresh air that is worth fighting for.
民主与自由是值得我们为之奋斗的、至关重要的新鲜空气。
Freedom is oxygen. Freedom is passion. Freedom is love.
自由就是氧气,自由是热情,自由是爱。
And as a French philosopher Jean Paul Sartre once said: freedom is a choice, our future is dependent on the choices we make today and tomorrow.
就像法国哲学家萨特曾经说的:自由是一种选择,我们的未来就取决于我们在今天做的选择。
We are all playwrights of the next chapters of our lives. Together, we right the human history.
我们为自己的人生写下下一篇章,我们一起,写下人类的历史。
My friends, enjoy the fresh air and never let it go.
我的朋友们,享受这里的新鲜空气,不要放手。
Thank you.
谢谢。